APEX Convention 2017
The justice sector in the Caribbean is at an important crossroads. Regional efforts to accelerate the development of Caribbean jurisprudence are being challenged by constraints of finance and human resource capacity.
Convention DetailsDATE: Monday, 27 November 2017
TIME: 9:00AM to 3:00PM
LOCATION: Atlantis Paradise Island, The Bahamas
The inaugural APEX Convention is a milestone event for the justice sector in the Caribbean, bringing together a range of national, regional and international jurists, attorneys, legal practitioners and senior court officers. The audience will also include government ministers and senior policy makers, as well as leading academics technologists, and business leaders, all working together to share experiences, ideas and innovations for Caribbean justice.
APEX 2017 CONVENTION PURPOSEThe Convention has three main goals:
- Raise awareness of the current global and regional court-technology landscape;
- Build consensus on technology-enabled justice-delivery best practices; e-filing and case-flow management solutions; process improvement and sustainable technology deployment strategies; and human capacity-building approaches;
- Identify tangible and attainable actions for advancing coordinated and sustainable, regional court modernization initiatives.
The aim of the Convention is to define actionable approaches toward a justice sector improvement. In this regard, the one-day convention is designed to:
- Highlight regional, technology-enabled options by providing insight into the latest challenges and initiatives for e-filing, end-to-end case management and e-discovery;
- Demonstrate existing and planned strategies, measures and approaches to deploying the Curia Court Management Suite;
- Identify emerging risks and vulnerabilities in Caribbean approaches to technology integration, ranging from under-funded initiatives, to inadequate training and human resource development; and
- Explore best-practices and the best ways to develop principles, norms and rules for regionally-relevant and responsible technology design, adoption and support.
- Be part of a an open discussion on current Court technology utilization matters of regional interest, particularly as it relates to backlog reduction; judicial performance enhancement; and court process improvement;
- Review progress, strategies and approaches for building and/or strengthening national courts to enhance case flow management, technical competences and technology infrastructure;
- Learn about opportunities for accelerated improvement through the APEX Curia Suite;
- Support the building of local and regional capacity in Court Technology implementation and support to enable, and strengthen effective court administration, sustainable operations improvement and holistic sector development.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
The APEX Convention is a truly unique forum and is open to all regional stakeholders who are willing to share their collective knowledge and experiences and interested in collaboratively forging priorities, strategies and initiatives to impact and improve the quality of justice delivery for the Caribbean.
- Chief Justices
- Attorneys General
- Directors of Public Prosecution
- Law Association Presidents
- Ministers Responsible for Legal Affairs and Justice
- Court Administrators
- Business Association Heads
- Heads of Inter-Governmental Organizations
- Commissioners of Prisons
- Commissioners of Police
- Diplomatic Corps (Region Wide)
|9:00 AM||Opening||Anthem / Invocation|
|Opening Remarks and Agenda Walkthrough by Master of Ceremonies|
|Welcome of Delegates|
|9:15 AM||Introduction of Keynote Speaker|
|KEYNOTE 1||Enabling Caribbean Court Excellence 1: Addressing the Challenges of Justice Delivery in the Caribbean – The Role and Responsibility of An APEX Court
The role and position of an APEX Court is vital in the judicial and political system of any jurisdiction. In this keynote address, we examine the unique role the CCJ plays in ensuring an efficient, effective, high- performing justice system in the Caribbean
|9:45 AM||Q&A||Role and Responsibility of an APEX Court|
|10:15 AM||Break||Networking Opportunity|
|10:45 AM||Introduction of Panelists|
|PANEL 1||Caribbean Technology Innovation for Caribbean Justice: Challenges, Opportunities, Imperatives
This panel examines the role and impact of technology on the administration of justice globally. Panelists will also share their experiences and insights into the unique circumstances, trends and drivers for the adoption of technology in the administration of justice in the Caribbean.
|11:30 AM||Q&A||Caribbean Technology Innovation Panel|
|1:00 PM||Introduction of Feature Speaker|
|KEYNOTE 2||Developing Caribbean Justice Support System 1: The Role and Purpose of APEX and Curia
This session provides an in depth look into the purpose, mission, service philosophy and operating structures of APEX – established by the CCJ, governed by justice stakeholders, and the Caribbean’s first development agency entirely dedicated to the delivery of technology and capacity building services for the Caribbean justice sector.
|1:30 PM||Curia Demo||
Tour of APEX technology products including the Curia Court Management Suite, Curia Police Information Management Suite and the Curia Prisons Management System
|1:45 PM||Introduction of Feature Speaker|
|Keynote 3||Developing Caribbean Justice Support System 2: The APEX Centre for Caribbean Court Excellence
This session introduces the APEX Centre for Caribbean Court and elaborates on APEX’s human resource development mandate, its training programs and education resource development initiatives.
|2:05 PM||Q&A||APEX Technology and Human Resource Development|
|2:30 PM||Introduction of Panelists|
|PANEL 2||APEX Institutional Membership – Purpose, Function, Benefits and Requirements
The interactive panel explains the purpose and guiding philosophy for the APEX Institutional Membership structures. Panelists will highlight the types of Institutional Membership as well as the responsibilities of APEX institutional members. Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions and clarify the role and function of this important feature of the APEX governing framework.
|3:00 PM||Stakeholders Convention Wrap Up|
|6:00 - 10:00 PM||Convention Gala Dinner Ceremony|